You have questions. wE have answers.

If your questions aren’t answered below please contact us at [email protected] or 256-725-4163

Do I need a Business License?

If you are operating a business within Owens Cross Roads town limits, you must have a business license. This includes, but is not limited to, cottage industry business, store-front business, internet business, and business deliveries. Businesses not physically located within the town limits, but which provide service (example: home maintenance and repairs, cleaning services, carpentry, painting, lawn care, etc.) within the town limits are also required to purchase a business license. 

How do I purchase a Business Licence?

Business Licenses may be purchased at OCR City Hall Monday through Friday 8:00am until 4:30pm or by calling City Hall and requesting to have an application mailed/emailed to you. You will be asked to complete a form which requires the following information: Name of business; physical and/or mailing address of business; FEIN and/or State tax ID number; and contact information. 

What is the cost of a Business License?

The base rate for most new businesses for the period beginning January 1 through December 31 each calendar year is $100 plus an issuance fee as set by the State of Alabama. Delivery licenses are based on a different scale as are heavy equipment operators and property managers/rental companies (please call 256-725-5164 for more specific prices). New business licenses purchased after between July 1 and December 31 are assessed at 50% of the usual cost plus an issuance fee set by the State of Alabama. Payment may be made by cash, check, or credit/debit card. 

Business Licenses must be renewed annually between January 1 and January 31 in order to continue doing business within the City of Owens Cross Roads. Failure to renew before February 1 or within 30 days of the date they fall due will be charged a 15% penalty for the first 30 days they are delinquent and shall be measured by an additional 15% for delinquency of 60 days or more. Renewal licenses purchased after July 1 and before December 31 are still assessed at full price plus the appropriate penalties previously defined and are NOT subject to the 50% discount for New licenses purchased between July 1 and December 31. 

How do I set up my sewer account when I move into Owens Cross Roads?

Customers setting up a new sewer account must complete an application for sewer service and pay a refundable security deposit. Property owners are assessed a deposit of $100; property renters are assessed a deposit of $150. Deposits are held on record with the sewer deposit until such time as the customer no longer has need of Owens Cross Roads sewer service. If a balance is due at that time, it will be deducted from the security deposit and the remaining funds will be refunded to the customer. If there is no balance due, the deposit will be refunded in full.

When is my sewer bill due?

Current sewer bills are a flat fee of $44 per month and are due by the 20th of each month, covering usage for the preceding month. For example, when you are billed sewer usage for January 1 thru 31 that bill is mailed on January 31 with payment due by February 20th. A late fee of $5 is added to payments made after the 20th. 

How can I pay my sewer bill?

Sewer bills can be paid either by cash, check, card or bank bill-pay (set up with your bank) or ACH bank draft (set up with us at City Hall). Options for delivery of payment include mailing to PO Box 158, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763, inside City Hall at the Clerk’s Window, in the drop box on the South end of City Hall, by phone 256-725-5164 with a credit or debit card, or online with a credit or debit card at  citisenportal.com then choose the SEWER tab. When paying online, please list your account number or street address on the description line in order to insure proper credit to your account. Please note that when paying by credit or debit card, the processing company will add a 2.5% fee to the amount you are being charged. This fee is not credited to your sewer account, nor does the City of Owens Cross Roads profit from this fee. 

How do I cancel my sewer service?

Just call City Hall and let us know the date you plan to move out and we will close the account. Any outstanding balance at that time will be deducted from the security deposit and the remainder will be refunded to you.

How do I set up water service or pay my water bill?

Water Service is provided to residents of Owens Cross Roads through the Owens Cross Roads Water Authority which is separate from City Hall. Their number is 256-725-4203. 

How do I pay my fines or court fees?

Fines and fees may be paid in person to the Municipal Court Clerk at City Hall Monday through Friday, 8:00am until 5:00pm, or on-line at https://owenscrossroads.govtportal.com/ then choose the Municipal Court Tab. Be sure to list your ticket or citation number to insure proper credit.